Pictures paint a thousand words
Some of my work – for ideas and inspiration – a mixture of cloned garments and alterations. Plus garments made from commercial patterns or photographs
If you’re inspired by these photos and would like something similar, please get in touch.
Perfectly fitted business suit
This suit was cloned from my client’s original garments and then made up in 100% Superfine Pure New Wool. The elegant navy pin stripe of the suit has been lined with hot pink duchesse satin. The released darts from the midriff band give the dress a beautiful fit and feminine style yet maintains a professional image.
Gorgeous plaid wool wrap skirt
My client provided a photograph of this skirt from the internet (3rd photo, below). I drafted a pattern for it, to fit her measurements and preferences, then made up the skirt. The plaid wool fabric is an heirloom piece from her mother and I lined it in black satin for comfort and to help maintain shape and fall. We had one fitting in the middle to check the fit before being hand finished.
Vogue V1777 by Rachel Comey for Vogue Patterns
This perfectly designed shirtdress was made up in a pretty overprinted broderie anglaise. This is a pull over dress with no closures and beautiful single welt pockets in the skirt. The pattern is unlined, but I drafted a full lining for longevity of the dress and to preserve some modesty. A small button and handworked loop on the inside of the wrap ensures invisible security.
Resizing an evening gown
A sumptuous crepe, tulle and beaded appliques gown which was three sizes too big. Apart from the obvious bust, waist and hip measurements the sleeves were baggy and the bodice too long in the waist. All the beaded appliques on the front bodice and shoulders were removed and the dress dismantled to downsize it. And of course everything had to be put back again!
Petrol blue mermaid train gown
A stunning evening gown for a fundraising gala in petrol blue light crepe and fully lined in the same fabric. The gown was cloned from an original which was not long enough. Once I had created the pattern I graded it to fit my client’s measurements. The bodice is boned for support and shape.
Lace and sequins for a Mother of the Groom
A divine dress made from sequinned lace and cloned (with fitting adjustments) from an original garment belonging to my client. The lace motifs around the neckline were individually cut from the lace and hand stitched in place. The left side mirrors the right on both front and back necklines. The lining is cotton jersey, cut and constructed by sandwiching everything so the seams don’t show on the right side OR the wrong side of the dress.
New Look NL6449
This pretty shirtdress has been made from a commercial paper pattern and graded to custom fit my client. The cotton flamingos fabric was cut single layer to be able to pattern match and show off the beauty of the design. The front button band is embellished with pale pink Mother of Pearl buttons. Although a cotton fabric, the shirtdress, with a curved hemline, is fully lined so it doesn’t cling or drag when wearing it.
A beautiful combination outfit of four pieces – the trousers and long skirt are interchangeable. My client supplied fabrics and a photograph (1st photo below) and I made up the embellished velvet tunic, the trousers with embroidered panels at the hem and the long (tulle over lace) skirt, to her measurements. Lots of hand sewing for all the embroidered panels has created this glamorous outfit.
Bolero from a chiffon shawl
A glorious cocktail dress which originally (photo 3 below) came with a matching shawl. My client didn’t like the shawl so I drafted a pattern for a short bolero, to fit her measurements. It was a bit of a puzzle to fit the pieces into the available chiffon and maintain the flow of the fabric design, but the resulting two piece outfit is simply beautiful.
Changing the shape of the back bodice detail
This beautiful sheath dress with heavily beaded lace overskirt and cap sleeves originally came with a V-front and a peekaboo back (see photos below for before and after). My client wanted a square back instead, so I took it all apart. Fabric and lining were cut and reshaped and the silver piping trim replaced before reattaching the bodice lining. It looks very different now!